- It was considered a huge upset when The Moviegoer beat out Catch-22, Revolutionary Road, and Franny and Zooey for the 1962 National Book Award. Slate asks: Was the fix in? And why?
- Speaking of snubbing Richard Yates: “Each time Yates shuffled into Roads that summer, I avoided making eye contact. Why didn’t he get help, join AA?” Leslie Absher recounts her interactions with the author.
- Books written from beyond the grave. Dead Mark Twain was especially prolific.
- You may be dead before you finish these: a slideshow of those books most difficult to finish.
- He apparently hated beards, and other trivia about Roald Dahl.