Posts Tagged ‘Princess phones’
March 17, 2014 | by Dan Piepenbring
- The OED has made its latest update. Among the new words added: wackadoo, toilet-paper (as a verb), cunt lapper, and assisted living.
- Minneapolis’s Graywolf Press turns forty.
- Evocative shots of New York’s 1964 World’s Fair recall a time when the future was full of wonder, typefaces were chunkier, and you could ride a giant tire like a Ferris wheel.
- Why should you major in English? Because Barbara Walters and Mitt Romney did, of course!
- “It’s little! … It’s lovely! … It lights!” An enlightening history of Bell Telephone’s 1959 “Princess phone,” “the first phone specifically created for teenage girls and women … in its beauty and its place in the home, [it] was the embodiment of perfect womanly qualities of the time.”