Posts Tagged ‘Kansas City’
April 11, 2014 | by Dan Piepenbring
- Today is Rizzoli Bookstore’s last day in business on Fifty-Seventh Street. Visit their beautiful shop before it’s gone.
- An unnerving correlation between philosophy and murder: “Countries with high homicide rates also have citizens who believe strongly in free will.”
- Britain got rich on sheep. “Wool was the white gold of our economy in the Middle Ages: when Richard the Lionheart was ransomed by the Holy Roman Emperor, Henry VI, the Cistercian monasteries of Britain were asked for a year’s haul of fleece to pay for him.”
- “Amazon has purchased Comixology, the largest retailer of digital comics.” Is your local brick-and-mortar comic-book store completely fucked?
- Nobody wants to go to Colonial Williamsburg anymore. “Here’s an idea: market Colonial Williamsburg as so stodgy and weirdly Americana it’s cool, like taxidermy or trucker hats.”
- In an old shoebox, an artist has discovered a series of strangely affecting photos from the Kansas City drag scene of the sixties.